Thursday, February 5, 2009

Abu Dhabi: Days 4 & 5

I'm not sure if it is more stressful to settle in to an apartment,
start a new job with very little knowledge of the course, or walk
around at night as a single woman with streets filled with only men.
Votes?

The past two days have been filled with information about classes. It
has definitely been much more useful than some of re other stuff, but
my head is swimming. I spent two days trying to figure out how to
print in by office. Finally I got it sorted about a half hour before I
was planning to leave. So at least I know what I need to copy fist
thing on Sunday morning.

For the first time I am using PowerPoint as my teaching medium. So I
spent a couple of hours today sorting out my lesson plan for the first
two-hour session with my new students. After a day of rest I will plan
the second two-hour session before Sunday. I think the planning will
get easier and faster soon though.

Today being "Friday" means that drinks were in order after a full
week. So while we planned to go to Ikea again the traffic was so bad
getting a taxi that we decided to hit the happy hour where our new
colleagues were gathering this week. Apparently each week takes them
to a new venue which will be nice for getting to know people and the
city.

After a couple of drinks we went shopping. Before I knew it the mall
was closing and I realized it was already 11pm. So we do not recommend
shopping after drinking!

Overall the week has come to a nice end. I need a break for part of a
day at the least. But it seems that the job will be good and life will
be manageable...

So until next time,

-T

twaller2008@i.softbank.jp
Sent from my iPhone

No comments: